I will be the first to admit, I do not like to cook with my kids. They get in the way, they don’t listen, they are impatient, and I would just rather do it myself. However, I have a passion for food and cooking that I want to share with my kids. I have come up with a few tips to keep you from killing yourself whilst cooking with your kids.
1. Use a simple recipe The less steps and ingredients the better. Kids are impatient Make a quick and easy recipe that won’t keep them waiting long. The girls and I made baked apples this week since my parents bought us a boatload of apples. Or is it buttload. Or am I thinking of butthurt. Anyway, moving along.
2. Premeasure all ingredients This could be the most important tip. It’s so easy for little hands to grab the little bowls and dump them out. Hopefully in a bowl of some sort and not the floor. Or their mouths.
3. Keep it simple Your kid isn’t Gordan Ramsey. Give them simple steps like mixing and pouring in ingredients. Fortunately kids are easily amused.
4. Let them play with their food. Let your kids dig in a sensory experience with the food, how it feels, how it smells, and eventually how it tastes.
5. Expect the unexpected. Kids can surprise you. They may be capable of more than you think. Fofo can crack at egg at 5. They may lose interest faster than you think. They may be hesitant to get involved. Or they can make this face at the finished product.
Sigh. Children. You have to laugh to keep from crying. Don’t get discouraged! Get those kids in the kitchen and have some fun. Have a good weekend everyone 🙂