I tend to be a Negative Nelly at times, so I was thrilled to come across another blogger, Alison from Under the Big Oak Tree, who started a series called “What Makes Me Smile.” She “journals some things that make me smile each week. Hoping that when I look back, I’ll see just how many things I have to be grateful for and smile about in my life.” I adore this idea. So I have decided to share 5 things that make me smile. Enjoy!
Did ya know it’s still fall? ‘Cause this November weather sure tells a different story. It has been a rough one. Like a let’s-drop-everything-and-move-to-Arizona-rough. BUT, the spirit of Thanksgiving, I figured this was good week to remember all the things I like about living in Wisconsin. Notice I said like, not love 😉
1. Our hometown library. Our newly renovated library is an awesome resource for our homeschooling family. It’s a nice and quiet place for me to go on Saturdays to get some work done. And with the interlibrary sharing system, we can get anything we need!
2. Friendly Midwestern Attitude. You can’t beat the attitude of people from the midwest. I always miss the smiles and nice greetings when we travel to other parts of the country.
3. Changing of the Seasons. As much as I may complain about the heat and the cold, I do love the weather in Wisconsin. It’s nice to see fog. Green grass after a rainfall. Changing leaves. Bright sunny days in the dead of winter. Wind and thunderstorms. Big, fluffy snow. Seeing your dog passed out in a patch of sunlight in the spring. Your dog bouncing through the freshly fallen snow. I do love that we get all four seasons in Wisconsin.
4. Job security. My husband has been at his trucking job for almost 7 years now. With the pay from his job, I was able to stay home with the kids after The Bear was born, and it enables us to homeschool. The security/pay/seniority of my husband’s job is a big item to be thankful for.
5. Our location rules! The whole reason we moved here was to have a small town feel, but still have access to the cities. Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago are all within perfect driving distance for day trips.
The thought of picking up and moving seems promising some days, but we have a lot to be thankful for right here at home 🙂
What are you thankful for this year? What has made you smile this week?