It’s that time of year. Parents are being driven insane by their kids. It’s summer. They are busy. They are bored. They are hungry. They are bored. They are loud. They are antsy. I think you get the point. So what do parents do to handle this? Besides force them outside/in the other room? For me, it’s music. Or podcasts. But music is the main way I can reset my
pissy bad mood and face the day in a much happier place. Some days it is happy music to cheer me up. Some days it is loud music to scream for me. Some days it is something to dance to. Each song has a different reason and helps in their own way.
1. Heard it through the grapevine by Marvin Gaye This song instantly makes me feel better. When I used to work in a warehouse, if this song came on, it always brought a smile to my face.
2. Just the way you are by Bruno Mars If Bill Burr approves of Bruno Mars, then so do I. My husband may be the only one who gets that reference.
3. Higher Ground by Stevie Wonder or Red Hot Chili Peppers I got back and forth on which I love more. Stevie. No RHCP. No Stevie! GAH! I can’t decide!
4. All I want for Christmas by Mariah Carey and The Roots This song I have to pull up youtube for but I love it! It may seem silly to listen to a Christmas song in the middle of July, but I don’t care. It makes me happy.
5. Into the ocean by Blue October This song will always have a special place in my heart. This song would always make Fofo fall asleep when she was a baby. This song brings me back to that time of innocence and helps me remember Fofo is still just a little girl, even though she may be challenging some days.
6. 10,000 Days (Wings for Marie part 2) by Tool Those days I want to scream out loud but can’t, I let Maynard do the screaming for me.
7. Seasons of love from the Rent Soundtrack I’m not sure if it’s Taye Diggs or what. But I dig this song.
8. Seven nation army by The White stripes Damn you Heat Nation!!
9. Pumped up Kicks by Foster the Parents My neighbor across the street has been blasting this song all summer, and I don’t even care.
10. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson Need to dance it out? Michael Jackson music is the cure!
11. Set Fire to the Rain by Adele Adele makes me happy. That is all.
12. Electric Feel by MGMT
13. Daft punk is playing at my house by LCD Soundsystem Techno. Enough said.
14. No one Knows by Queens of the stone age A great rock song with an amazing drum line. Let the beat of the drum get out your aggression.
15. Black Betty by Ram Jam or Spiderbait. An oldie but a goodie. Or a newie. Or something.
What’s on your playlist? How do you get your day back on track?